Friday, August 19, 2011

Stop 5: Broken Pots, Half Walls, and Walking (aka Pompeii)

Day 3 was Pompeii, which I will confess was the top site in Europe that I wanted to see. I'm not sure why but ever since we learned about Pompeii in elementary school I have been obsessed and have always wanted to go. Pompeii is the reason I decided on visiting this area of Italy at all. Anyway I spent over 5 hours walking the site and still didn't even manage to see it all. It was not quite as I imagined, but still impressive. The worst part was that the audio guide kept referring to a statue or item that they found in the place I was standing, but then always said "this can be found in the Archeological Museum in Naples." All the best stuff is there and guess what day it is closed, yep that's right Tuesdays (it was Monday and I was flying out on Wednesday). Just perfect. Anyway I still loved it and also managed to get sunburned in January with moisturizing lotion with SPF. How does that happen?!

Also, that night at dinner I saw an ad for a Fastweb travel site that starred George Clooney. Apparently he doesn't mind pimping himself out for anything in this amazing country. Then again I guess that's how he pays for his place on Lake Como, so I can't hold it against him.

No comments:

Post a Comment