Next stop for me was Lisbon. I only had 2 days and one night there and I think I did a pretty good job of thoroughly covering everything there was to see. Sadly this was the one rainy part of my whole 2 week trip. I ended up doing some of the bus tours since this way I could see things, but not end up drenched.
I got into town really early and had to laugh at myself when I stopped for lunch because both my stomach and my cell phone were telling me it was time, but I realized as I was finishing up that is was actually only 10:30 and I needed to change time zones on my phone. Oh well.
I, of course, had to try the Lisbon speciality pastéis de nata and I even got it at the place that supposedly invented this famous custard tart and makes the best one. To be honest I was pleasantly surprised by how good it was and I was even tempted to get another one later (this is unheard of for me, so nicely done Lisbon).
The second morning it wasn't raining (just cloudy) so I hiked up the hill to the St. Jorge's Castle and went ahead and paid the 7 euros to get in. I confess it was worth it just for the pictures. I think I took about 50 pictures when I was up there.
I think the rest of the city is best summarized by these observations:
- Worst. Drivers. Ever. Not bad in a crazy impressive way like Italians, but in a cutting off buses, forcing through when you have no right of way, and ignoring traffic lights kind of way.
- There are tons of fabric shops
- They love Vasco de Gama
- Worst streets and sidewalks in Europe. Half of these surfaces were holes and the rest of the surface was slanted into the hole.
- There are no good looking people in the city. Sorry.
No comments:
Post a Comment