Friday, August 19, 2011

Stop 1: Paella, Gaudi, and Tapas (aka Barcelona)

Well I didn't time my departure from Europe very well; I should have ended my assignment in the Spring instead of Winter when the weather is better. I did manage to plan well enough that all of my destinations on my "good-bye Europe" trip were south enough to not need hats and mittens though.

Basically I left from snowy Munich and landed in beautiful (and not snowy) Barcelona. The nice part about this segment of the trip was that I wasn't alone. I met one of my travel buddies (who conveniently had been there for a day already and had lots of stuff figured out) and we went all over this wonderfully Spanish city. The first night I got in with just enough time to go to the Picasso Museum since it was the monthly free night and I have to confess that I am glad I didn't pay for it. Maybe if I were a bigger Picasso fan or something it would have been life changing, but sorry.


Anyway during my two days there we saw just about all of the main sights, which for me included the big market with more colors than I have seen in ages. We did the historic Barcelona tour, saw the Gaudi buildings, the harbor, the beach, and of course the Christopher Columbus statue. All I can say is that the Gaudi buildings reminded be of a combination of Dr. Suess and Frank Lloyd Wright. (Hope that's not an insult). Our big splurge this time was dinner at 7 Portes. It is a well known Spanish restaurant and I finally got to have paella. Oh. My. Heavens. It was delicious. Like a really good risotto with fresh seafood, chicken, and some of the best sausage I have had in a while


The next morning we went to see the Roman ruins which are below ground and really amazing. Then some more walking, shopping, and eating. Only problem with shopping was that it was the night before 3 Kings Day which is like their Christmas Day (gifts-wise) so we waited in line with all the people buying the last minute gifts for their kids. Slackers.

No comments:

Post a Comment