Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Vienna (a.k.a. The Park and Coffee House Walking Tour)

At the airport in Vienna I was asked for help at the ticket machine and I was able to help.  Score 1!


The after finishing my ice cream cone on my first go around the city another lady approached me to ask if I spoke English and after I said yes she asked if I was from Vienna.  After saying no, I was still able to give her directions to the Farmers Market she was looking for.  So while I look like I can speak English, I also look like I could live in Vienna.  Score 2!


Then 2 days later when I was eating my dinner and deciding where to go on my last day, 2 guys approached me asking if I was from Austria.  (Of course he asked in German, but I actually knew what he was saying and could answer!!)  He asked where the Kunsthaus was and while I had to tell him I wasn't from here I could tell him how to get there.  I should be getting paid for this.  Score 3!




So I was supposed to meet a friend in Vienna for the 4 day weekend, but at the last minute she wasn't able to come, so I decided since the ticket was purchased that I would just go anyway.  It was still a pretty good time.  I did a ton of walking during my trip which wasn't a problem because the weather was absolutely PERFECT all 4 days!  During my walking the first day I was able to accomplish my 1 goal of the trip: to get a hobo bag so I can stop dragging my TImbuktu bag everywhere I go like a San Franciscan.  My new bag is gorgeous!  It will be the best souvenir of any trip ever (unless I find some heavenly shoes in Italy!)  


Oh and my hotel (how could I forget to mention the spectacle which was this hotel?!) well, I don't quite know what to say, so I'll post some pictures.  Although they will have to be the g-rated version. 


My second day was a lot like the first, lots of walking and perfect weather.  The first thing I stopped at was a Holocaust memorial, which was impressive.  Then I headed for an early lunch to Cafe Sacher for the classic (and so very touristy) Sacher Torte and cappuccino.  While the service lack, well everything, the cake was honestly pretty good.  Then I headed to the Hofburg for the museum trifecta.  The Kaiserappartments, Sisi Museum, and the Silberkammer.  This took up most of my day and was pretty interesting.  For example did you know that you could spend an entire hour looking at dishes, silverware, and table settings?  Well, you can.


Then to a Mozart and Strauss concert.  I am always amazed that 3 violins,  one cello, and one piano can fill an entire room with such beautiful sounds.  


For Easter morning I went to a service at my new favorite church which had a big choir and orchestra for the service.  Even though I had no idea what they were saying I am pretty sure this was my favorite Easter service ever.  The music was spectacular.  Oh and I sat next to poodle.  Afterward I did more walking though several beautiful parks including the Stadtpark which must be where they film all the park scenes in movies.  Every time I headed to a new destination I seemed to end up in another park.  It was always quite a nice surprise. 


Oh and since Vienna had one, I had to go to the Butterfly House.  


I've also decided that being one of about 10 other people in the Haus der Musik is definitely the only way to go to the museum.  Since no one else was around I could do all the interactive exhibits and read all about the composers.  Apparently you have to be born or live in Vienna to be any good at composing (ok, one exception, Bach).  


Finally to the flight.  I flew this airline (Air Berlin) and they have an interesting methodology for boarding where you basically board twice.  First you wait in line to board a bus that takes you to the plane where you board again.  Actually this is quite genius on their part.  When you're crowded onto a small bus pressed up against everyone else, the plane then seems almost roomy.


All in all it was a great trip, although answering "Ja" to "Nur eins?"  (just one?)  got old really fast.  Now that I've spent 4 days exploring a foreign city alone while living in a different foreign city alone I can say I've done it and never have to do it again.  Traveling isn't nearly as fun when there is no one to hear your sarcastic comments.  I couldn't wait to get back to Munich.  Interesting how quickly you will equate the term "home" with a place which offers the slightest amount of familiarity.  

No comments:

Post a Comment