I finally got a cell phone! It was quite refreshing to be without a phone for 5 weeks, but now I must rejoin society. My number (when calling from the US) would be 0049 017 67859 7648. Call or text me!!
On a child's first day of school in Germany they are given a Schultute by their parents. It's like a Christmas stocking except instead of a stocking it is a large cone filled with sweets and school supplies. So much fun!
So real Baklava is amazing! It isn't the super sweet, dripping with sugar square that we know in the US. It is a slightly sweet, delicate, nut filled delight! I suggest you find a real one to try sometime. You wont be disappointed.
Another genius German concept: in more rural areas they have two lane roads where the lanes are really wide and can act as passing lanes when need be. This just makes sense, but sorry to say I have a feeling it just wouldn't work with American drivers.
What is a "hotdog with diversen sauce" exactly?
Do you really think "Cest la Vie" is the best name for your nail salon? Doesn't really exude confidence.
I cannot comprehend the novelty of driving up and down a street honking your horn for hours after a team of men who happen to come from the same country as yourself win one game in a series of games (which let me remind you, will last for another 4 weeks).
There are 4000 clocks in Rome; 2 are correct and the other 3998 all say something different.
There are no Starbucks in Belgium. Nice job, Belgium!
The walk from the check-in to the gates in the Brussels airport is easily the longest in the world. Maybe it is to help everyone walk off a couple extra calories from all the chocolate consumed there.
Emergence sirens in Brussels sound the same as those in the US, which differs from the rest of Europe. Why I noticed this I can't explain, but I did.
Phrases They Don't Teach in German Class
Guten Rutsch! - (Good Slide) As in I wish you a good slide into the New Year. To be used only before New Years Day. After that you have to use Gutes Neues Jahr!
Schonen Feierabend! - (Happy Closing Time) as in wishing someone a happy end of the work day.
Munich Food
Wirtshaus in der Au - Fantastic knodel restaurant!! The gorgonzola-pear knodel was absolute perfection and everyone else loved their dishes too. Oh and the apfelschmarrn is the best in the city but the chocolate knodel was a very close second. Highly recommended!
Prinz Myshkin - Vegetarian restaurant and one of my new top 3 restaurants. Amazing vegetarian dishes (samosa was perfect) and the desserts looked fabulous. An absolute must!
Le Florida - One of my top 3 restaurants. Fantastic salads and the decor is such fun. Great salads!
Campus Bay - South African restaurant with great decor and even better food. The 5 euro all you can drink wine on Mondays is also not bad!
Lemar - Another of my top three. Afghan restaurant. The pumpkin starter is the best and the rest of the menu doesn't disappoint.
anh-thu - Also in my top three. Amazing Vietnamese restaurant with the greatest appetizer (fried sweet potato breaded shrimp). The other appetizer (grilled beef) and the main dish (a roll your own spring roll plate) were also beyond fantastic.
Pauls Wirthaus - Sort of a trendy schnitzel place. I really liked the special schnitzel served on the tile (yes like a kitchen tile) Good atmosphere and in a quieter area
Görreshof - Great Bavarian restaurant, like an upscale Georgenhof. I really like the Jaegerschnitzel with spatzle.
Blue Nile - Ethiopian restaurant where you eat with your hands like tradition. The big mixed platter is your best bet and has lots of different flavors. The honey wine was ok, but too sweet for me.
Jagdschloessl - Perfect neighborhood Bavarian restaurant. The best Jagerschnitzel ever! Real Munich.
Taverna Kypros - Greek restaurant in Pasing. Good quality for the price.
Thomas Detterbecks Konditorei-Cafe-Eis - This fantastic cafe has awesome cakes and even better ice cream selections. Perfect out of the way place for kaffee und kuchen.
Bistro Cameleon - Fantastic French restaurant. Interesting and delicious menu. (I wanted all of the specials). Nice location too.
Zum Dürnbräu - One of the better Bavarian places and has a great little tucked away location. Nice wait staff too.
Deli - Star - Awesome bagel place with great sandwich options. They even have wraps, muffins, cookies, and a build your own salad to-go option. Fantastic! Reminded me of home.
Georgenhof - One of my favorite German restaurants. I actually get their Romaner salad which is a caesar salad but with a few fantastic additions. Oh and they have Augustiner beer
Dean & David's - Greta quick salad place. Reminds me of something you'd find in San Francisco. They also have curry and sandwiches, but I can't get past the salads.
Bohne & Malz - Nice miscellaneous restaurant. I liked the salad and the selection will work for everyone.
Spatenhaus an der Oper - Great traditional Bavarian restaurant. Apparently the liver was great. I loved the Sauerbraten.
Mama Kebab's Haus - My favorite falafel place. Even has seating area. Great price and the doner looks good too.
Cafe Luna - Nice little cafe with good italian, bagels, and desserts. Right next to the English garden. So pretty.
Koriander - Small Vietnamese restaurant with small daily menu. The 24 Hour soup is wonderful and that's coming from a non-soup person.
Bagel Brothers - Perfect place for a bagel fix. Nice options with real cooked chicken breast, not some packaged thing.
Bachmaier - Good German food. Huge schnitzel. Definitely a good go-to.
Schwabing Egger's - Nice German restaurant. Great kaiserschmarn.
Al Pacinos - Italian (surprise surprise) restaurant with great pasta. I've never had the pizza, but I've heard it's nice.
C.A.D.U. - Good for bagels, salads, and other smaller dishes. Good cocktails (decent prices).
Ristorante Alta Marea - Tucked away Italian place. I was not impressed with my gnocchi but others loved their dishes. Nice atmosphere.
Zooziez - Great brunch place near the Isar. FIlls up, but the wait/reservation is worth it.
L'Osteria - Known for their giant pizzas. The pizza was good but not worth a long wait (which is often the case).
Cafe - Reitschule - Good food and creative menu, but a bit overpriced.
Cafe Westend - Went for brunch and was not too impressed. Supposed to be know for it, but I wasn't sold.
Vapiano - Italian restaurant. Everything cooked in front of you while you wait. Good food and fun paying approach with credit cards which are loaded with your orders as you buy things and then you pay on the way out.
Passaparola - Italian. Highly recommended by colleagues, but I was not impressed. Decent food and interesting combinations, but nothing worth noting.
Greeny's - A salad place, but they have other healthy stuff too like couscous, meat dishes, sandwiches, wraps, etc.
Saha - Nice little miscellaneous restaurant. I had a nice tomato soup once. Otherwise not too memorable.
Blu Meditteraneo - Had good reviews and the food was interesting, but not worth the price and the gnocchi was overcooked!
Bento Box - Decent sushi. I liked the teriyaki bowls.
No comments:
Post a Comment