Sunday, April 5, 2009

Oh Those Monks and Their Beer

Today I went with a group of friends out to a monastery/brewery called Andechs.  It is located about an hour outside of Munich.  We arrived at the beer garden after an hour hike and then sat and ate a traditional Bavarian lunch (huge pieces of meat, potatoes, cheese (made by the monks there), and of course a massive pretzel).  We also got the beer that is brewed on site by the monks.  It was beautiful, on the top of a big hill with a view of the green fields and small town below.  We just hung out for about 5 hours and then walked around the church and such before heading back on our hour hike.  

The best part is that I meet a friend of a friend who lived in Barcelona for almost two years and who has been wanting to go back to visit.  Soooooo . . . .  we are going to go to Barcelona in May for 4 days!!!  I'm so excited!   It will be such fun plus I will be there with someone who can speak the language so I hopefully won't get lost or spit on or anything.  

2 comments:

  1. Hey darling! I just read over the posts - I was getting behind. It sounds like you are having an absolutely wonderful time! I am SO happy for you. Barcelona is one of my most favorite cities in Europe. Make sure to do the obligatory Gaudi walk-about. And if you haven't read that book that I gave you over Christmas, that would be a good one to read before/while you're there. It's about Barcelona post-civil war Spain.
    OK - this got long but you have no idea how much I miss you! Keep updating this thing so I know you're still doing wonderful. And send me your address when you get it so I can send a care package.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! It sounds like you are having an amazing time there! I'm so jealous! I want to come visit! I took German in H.S. and 2 semesters in college....I wonder what would come back to me if I was submersed in it! :) How long are you over in Germany for? I know you told me when I saw you last, but I can't seem to remember. Talk to you later!

    Sara Ross (Baldonado) :)

    ReplyDelete