Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Day 1 (aka The Flight)

Well, I've had enough requests for updates that I decided a blog of sorts was in order. So here we go, this is post #1:

We will start at the beginning. So I arrive at the airport, on time actually, and I get up to check in my bags. Well, I had done my due diligence and weighed both checked bags before leaving Christi's apartment and they were just under the weight limit. Clear sailing right? Wrong. Lufthansa has a weight limit for your carry-on! And of course my bag was twice the limit. So the wonderful woman behind the counter was very patient with me as I opened my bag and started pulling things out and putting some in my checked bags and putting others in my already stuffed Timbuktu bag. So finally she says it is close enough and lets me go. Luckily this was the only complicated and stressful part of the entire flight. 

On the flight I watched one movie, slept for about 6 hours, then woke-up to eat breakfast, and got off the plane. From there I walked through customs, grabbed my bags, and hopped into a cab. Good first day.

Now for the technical day 1. I got up early to run errands since everything closes at 2 on Saturdays! I bought my ticket for the S-Bahn, which is literally outside the front door of the hotel, and rode it into the city center to shop for the basics. I got what I needed and didn't embarrass myself too badly with the sales people. Then on the way home the S-bahn police started checking for tickets so luckily I had managed to buy the correct one! For some reason I enjoyed that I got checked the first day I was here. I feel like a local. Well, that is enough for now, but I will write more later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment