Saturday, August 1, 2009

Hiking Like the Germans Do . . .

That means: getting up at the same time on a Saturday morning as I do on a work day, hiking up steep ravines and down poorly constructed paths, taking a 9, 7, 5, and 1 year old, and doing all of this for 6 hours.

The CRO department organized a hike at Hoellentalklamm yesterday. It actually ended up being an Actuarial department hike with a couple others from the CRO department. The hike took place in the mountains right outside Garmisch-Partenkirchen which is where the Winter Olympics took place in 1936. The Hoellentalklamm itself is this amazing ravine that you hike through to get to the base of the Zugspitze which is Germany's highest mountain.

We only made it to a height of t 1,387 meters, but based on the number of times we went up and then down and then up and then down on the path I am pretty sure we hiked up at least 2,ooo meters. The day was great and the waterfalls, caves, forests, and snow were all very impressive. (Sorry Yosemite, this place may have you beat.) We stopped at the hut that was 1,387 meters up and had lunch and took a bit of a break before hiking back down using the alternative route.

Overall it might just be one of the most impressive hikes I have ever been on. And of course I didn't bring my camera, but I will try to get pictures from one of my co-workers so you don't all think I am a liar. I promise, it was one of those places that helps me understand why the Germans are so serious about hiking and go every weekend.

Oh and one of the best parts of the day was the car ride to and from the hike. I rode with one of my co-workers and we got to do about 140 MPH on the Autobahn. That will never get old. I might just be willing to pay the 1,000 euros and spend the hours it would take just to get my license so I can drive that fast myself. Oh speed, why are you so much fun?

No comments:

Post a Comment