Monday, August 24, 2009

5 Days and 1 Bottle of Sunscreen (aka Sardinia)

That's right, in 5 days I used almost an entire "Urlaubs-Grosse" (vacation sized) bottle of SPF 30 sunscreen, but I managed to make it with only a 1st degree sunburn. I thought that wasn't too bad for 5 days on the beach in Sardinia.

I was with 4 friends on the northern coast of Sardinia for the past 5 days. The parents of my Italian friend own a sumer house near Porto Pollo (basically the kite surfing capital of the world) and we stayed there, about a 20 minute walk from the beach. The weather was perfect for all 5 days (hot and not a cloud in sight) and at only point while floating in the water I was looking up and could only see bright blue. I have never experienced that before and it was so cool.

I don't have much to tell since basically we laid on the beach and read and went swimming in the Mediterranean sea for 5 days. Then at night we went out for a fantastic dinner at some restaurant and then saw where the night took us. Once it was to a party on the beach with the rest of the entire island. Another night it was the city's street fair with all handmade items. One night for dinner we went to a restaurant where basically you get what they give you, and Good Lord is it good. We ate and ate and ate, and each thing was fantastic. Everything was traditional Sardinian food (which surprisingly doesn't include much seafood) including the pork, which I have to admit was amazing even though I am not a big pork fan. This place was one of the best dining experiences I have ever had. It is worth a trip to Sardinia just for this place. I could talk about the food for days.

One of the days we took a day long boat tour of the northern islands. We stopped at a few beaches and swam and also stopped in the middle of the Mediterranean at one point and jumped off the boat for a swim.

In general, the most unnerving thing about the beach was that I was without a doubt the whitest person there, probably the whitest on the entire island. It was crazy! Buts it is nice to know that I won't have a leather couch for a face at 35 like most of them. As far as the locals go, the one nice things is that for every woman on the beach that made me self-conscious about my body there were 2 others that made me feel good about myself.

Oh and the random event of the trip: in the bar on the beach we met an ex-Navy guy who retired in Sardinia who has actually been to not only Nebraska, but to a Huskers football game! I think he was more excited about this than I was. He kept talking about how nice everyone was and then even called his brother in the states to tell him he had met a girl from Nebraska. Just goes to show how great we must be when we leave that kind of lasting impression!!

This was without a doubt 5 of the most relaxing days of my life. And truth be told I didn't know the beaches in Italy were this beautiful. It reminds me of Greece, water so beautiful you would think it was fake. I was hard to not "accidentally" miss my flight.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, come on Beth. You have a great body!!! wink wink

    ReplyDelete