Sunday, December 6, 2009

Christkindlmärkte Definitely Beat Oktoberfest

Last night I went to my very first of the long awaited Christkindlmärkte (Christmas Markets) with Kornelia and Hannes! There I had my first Gluhwein (mulled wine) which is sold at every single food related stand. It doesn't matter if the stand sells wurst, kebabs, flammbrot, or anything else, they will all without a doubt sell Gluhwein. It was pretty good too. For example it made me not realize for about 30 minutes that I couldn't feel my toes. Impressive.

I think the markets held up to expectation and I only went to 2 of them yesterday. Lots of lights and Christmas trees and fun stuff to buy and Gluhwein and lots of fantastic food. (Oh did I mention that roasted chestnuts are amazing? Who knew?!) I still have dozens more markets to see in Munich and then all the others in the rest of Germany. That might make for one very busy week between returning from Dublin and Christmas. Even more worrisome is the amount of Gluhwein I would be expected to drink if I went to that many markets. Ok, I'll save some for next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment