Well let's just do this chronologically. Basically the best part is Vanessa's story. Now I don't think I can do this totally unbelievable, movie-perfect turn of events the justice it deserves in this format. Therefore my advice is to either ask her about her epic story, or ask me the next time you see me in person. (Quick recap: 30th birthday, airplane boy, rental cars, midnight driving, cop, Mannheim, . . . )
Once the girls got back from Vanessa's adventure it was time for us all to go on our next adventure. First tid-bit of potentially helpful information I will pass along is that you can't take a rental car from most Western European countries into Croatia. This could be helpful for you to know, like it would have been helpful for us to know. But I guess the consolation is that instead we just drove to Verona and Venice. (Nice alternative, right?) Verona provided good wine, nice views, a dog named Carlos (at least we decided that), and Juliet's balcony just to name a few. Now this might just be me, but I find it a bit odd that thousands of people (yes I acknowledge I was one of them) go to a spot where a fictional character supposedly lived. Best part is that rubbing the Juliet statue's right breast is supposed to bring a new lover, so we got to watch not only this old woman and this teenage boy with bright red cheeks molest a statue. (I'll show you the pictures later.) No matter how fun it was, we only stayed in Verona for half the day because Venice was waiting.
In Venice we became quite aware of someone smiling down on us, because Amanda was able to secure for us a very nice hotel for a fantastic price. They went out of their way for us, it was amazing. I was not only a fan of the concierge because he saved us from sleeping in the car, but because he paints a beautiful picture (in an Italian accent). When we asked about Venice he quickly summed up for us what Venice has become. And I quote "Venice is like Disneyland." Wow, was he right. Now for the record I like Disneyland and this is not a criticism, but it is a very astute observation and analogy. Venice is amazing and somewhere everyone needs to see before they die. The canals are fun and trying not to get lost is also fun. But if you don't like tourists or souvenir shops then you may want to go during the off season, during the week, on the southwest side of the island. Just a heads up.
We stayed in Venice for the entire day and then the next day headed for home. On the way we stopped in this little town called Soave where the great wince comes from. It was a quite little town, but had a fantastic old walled-in medieval city center. Then just outside of Munich we had to stop for gas and of course there was a gas station, a McDonalds, Burger King, and a Subway. It was like being home again. So far I had avoided american burgers joints here in Europe, but we were hungry and this was the coolest McDonalds was the coolest one ever. It had outdoor seating with heat lamps, huge outdoor play area, indoor play area with basketball hoop, a McCafe, a fireplace, an upstairs area with video games, and then a toilet that cost 50 cents. What is the deal McDonalds? If you hadn't had such a great bagel sandwich I would have been very upset.
The last day both girls were here in Munich was the first day of Oktoberfest. So of course we had to go. It was interesting, really just a huge carnival with the same rides over and over, and tons of the same food options over and over. Then of course there are all the drunk people throwing up, and falling on you, and being wheeled out on a gurney. Really brings out the best in people.
While the girls were here they allowed me to force the German lifestyle on them. We ate Bavarian twice (!), had the very traditional Munich weisswurst breakfast, and tried out 8 new restaurants. I hope they had as much fun as I did! So who's next? Oh wait, that is already decided. My mom and Molly are coming in 3 weeks. I have a lot to get done before then, because once they arrive I won't have another free weekend in Munich until Christmas day! With that being said I had better run and get some stuff accomplished!
No comments:
Post a Comment