Last Thursday morning three friends and I left from Munich to drive to Italy. Within 5 hours we managed to visit 5 countries! Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, and Italy. Not too bad. We got to drive through the Alps too. Once we got into Italy we drove through Como which is this gorgeous town on, appropriately, Lake Como. I always thought maybe the movies and photos lied and that Italy can't really be that beautiful, but it is. Then we arrived at my friend's apartment in Monza. Her parents spend most of the time in Southern Italy so we had their 4 bedroom apartment with a gorgeous view all to ourselves. And that night I had my very first REAL Italian pizza. (Of course I announced this at the table!)
The second day we took the train to Genova which is on the sea. We spent the day walking, shopping, drinking espresso, and eating gelato. It was really hot, so we had to cool down somehow! Oh and at the Piazza de Ferrari I saw a guy wearing a Nebraska shirt. We're everywhere. Genova is a great city but has the most narrow streets, which help me understand why the Italians are all so skinny. If anyone was at all overweight they wouldn't fit down the street to their house.
The next day we took the train to Milan. Surprise surprise, we did lots of shopping there. During which we ran into a large demonstration which was taking place in the streets. There had to be thousands of people parading with signs and singing/rapping. We also visited a few of the cathedrals and other sites. More espresso and gelato. It is a nice city, but so far not on the top of my list.
Then the last day we toured Monza (and no, we didn't go to the Formula One track, so don't ask). It is a beautiful city. We even came across a 10k that was taking place that morning. Oh and I had my first cannoli. Not bad, but I was told it is different from the traditional cannoli which is from Sicily, so I'll have to go there so that I can compare. The Dom in Monza contains the Iron Crown of Lombardy which is a crown that supposedly contains a nail from the cross. Very interesting. This weekend there also happened to be a large rose garden open in the city park. I used up most of my camera's battery in that garden. After that we had to head back to the apartment and try to fit all of the stuff we brought and bought back into the car. Luckily we managed. The trip home was equally impressive: 5 countries again, 97 degrees, snow, rain, mountains, lakes, lots waterfalls, and some of the longest tunnels ever!
It was a fantastic trip. I even began to appreciate the little bit of German that I can speak, because I was very aware that I speak NO Italian (and grazie, prego, uno, and due don't count). I will absolutely be returning to Italy as much as I can. I only visited 4 Italian cities, I have at least 20 to go.
I'll write more when I remember it. I'm a little low on sleep right now . . .
I will gladly join you in Italy in retirement!! Love your re-cap of Italy and all the beautiful pics on facebook :) Miss you!
ReplyDelete~Bridget